BUENOS AIRES: (AFP) – Pop music star Justin Bieber has been ordered to appear before a court in Argentina for the alleged assault last year of photographer outside a Buenos Aires nightclub.
A justice ministry official told AFP that Argentine Judge Facundo Cubas gave the singer and one of his bodyguards 60 days appear in court or face arrest. “A subpoena is underway,” the official said on Monday.
The incident allegedly took place in November 2013, while the Canadian heart throb was on a music tour in Argentina.
According to the complaint, the bodyguard, following Bieber s orders, forcefully seized the photographer s camera and cellphone outside the nightclub in the exclusive Buenos Aires neighborhood of Palermo.
The court also put in a request that Interpol take “whatever steps are necessary” to locate the defendants, judicial officials said. The 20-year-old megastar, who once enjoyed a squeaky clean image, has had frequent run-ins with the law recently, including one in Canada last year in which he allegedly assaulted a limousine driver.
Earlier this year, he pleaded guilty to lesser charges after taking part in an illegal drag race on a Miami street.
He also was sentenced to two years probation for throwing eggs earlier this year at the home of a neighbor in California.