Afghanistan calls off Pakistan tour

0
68

LAHORE (Web Desk) – Afghanistan Cricket Board has called off its team’s Pakistan tour next month due to security reasons,
The decision comes in the wake of a suicide blast that killed more than 70 people in Gulshan Iqbal Park in Lahore on Sunday.

Earlier, the PCB authorities said negotiations regarding the three-match One Day Internationals (ODI) series concluded earlier and they were waiting for security clearance for the matches in Lahore and Karachi.

In December last year, head coach of the Afghanistan national cricket team Inzamam-ul-Haq said that the Afghan team should get to play against top teams on regular basis, insisting that the Afghan team needs exposure against the big teams.

Previously, Afghanistan had set up a short camp in Pakistan in 2015, under former coach Kabir Khan. They stayed at the Country Club Karachi and played several matches against departmental teams before heading for the Inter-Continental Cup.

Afghans have been playing good cricket and registered a couple of series wins against Zimbabwe in the past. They also qualified for the main round of the ongoing World T20.

The team lived up to its promise to at least win one match in the Super 10 stage as they defeated West Indies in the last match after earlier putting up brave performances before losing to England, Sri Lanka and South Africa.

It may be mentioned here that Zimbabwe became the first Test team to visit Pakistan last year since the armed attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in 2009, with the PCB doing its best to revive international cricket in the country.

Pakistan have since been forced to play designated home matches primarily in the United Arab Emirates.

2016-03-31

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here